History

The Bishopric of Worcester was once royally endowed with the manorial rights and land in Hampton. In 1549, these rights were transferred to John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland. Upon his execution, they passed to the Crown until 1557, when Mary Tudor granted them to the Lucys of Charlecote, leading to the village being named Hampton Lucy.

 

The History of Hampton Lucy and Its Church

The history of a church in Hampton Lucy dates back many centuries. A list of Rectors, located in the west porch, records ministry here as far back as 1279. The Register of Baptisms begins in 1553, while the Registers of Marriages and Burials date from 1556. The old mediaeval church was demolished in 1826.

Alice, widow of Rev. George Hammond (Rector from 1745 to 1788), left a bequest for “preparing and beautifying the ornamented church.” However, Rev. John Lucy, Rector from 1815 to 1874, decided to use the funds to construct a new church. The architect Thomas Rickman designed the present church, and its first stone was laid by Rev. John Lucy’s father. The church, completed at a cost of £23,000, was consecrated in November 1826 by Cornwall, Bishop of Worcester, before a congregation of 2,000 people. In 1859, Sir Gilbert Scott added the apse, regarded as one of his finest designs, and modifications were also made to the chancel.

In the churchyard lies the grave of Rev. John Lucy, who died in 1874 after serving nearly 60 years as Rector. Interestingly, the church has only one bell, as it is believed Rev. John disliked being disturbed. Behind the church stands the former Rectory, dating from the late 17th century. It was sold many years ago as it was deemed too large for modern use.

Many of the village’s older buildings are located in a conservation area around the Boars Head pub. Several are timber-framed and thatched in typical Warwickshire style. The Boars Head was once attached to the church’s living, and it is said that one needed the clergy’s permission to enter its doors on Sundays.

Leaving the village on the Charlecote Road, you come to the cast iron bridge over the River Avon. Built in 1829, this bridge replaced a wooden structure and a ford. It was purchased by Rev. John Lucy from the Horseley ironworks in Shropshire and is one of the earliest examples of its kind.